Friday, July 28, 2006

Senioritis, Yes I've Caught It Too

Senior life is catching up to me. How can I tell? Well by the ever decreasing rate of coming home, of course. From the looks of things, I won't be able to come back this weekend due to the Alumni Weekend. Seniors who have already gotten UK places (quite a few Oxbridge students) are coming back to college where we mingle and talk about life in the UK, preparing for interviews, you know, stuff like that. Next week there is that Scrabble Contest down at Taylor's which it doesn't look like I'm backing out of anytime soon. The week after is IELTS week- which I march to with full intention of bringing back a Band 9. Call me crazy, but I know I can do it. And if not, worst I can get is 8.5 anyway. ^^ It pays to be a writer. The week AFTER that is my long break, and with DoE last week, it brings everything full circle- I would have been away for one complete month by then. Huzzah!

The Dead Poet's Society is getting members...albeit at a phantasmagorically slow rate. Farah's in it. Aisyah decided 'yes' when I told her about the movies part. Noreen needed no convincing. Edda's joining, and Mizah as well, which almost inevitably leads to Jehan and Mary joining as well.

Wait a second, where are all the boys?

Oh well. (snigger)

Last night the Spanish Club went to Universiti Malaya for the Spanish Film Festival. I surprisingly had more fun than I imagined I would, not counting the one incident in the van where mom called me up, I picked up the phone, and Nadia, Aisyah, Mizah, Edda, and Farhana all shouted at once: "HI IQBAL'S MOM!!!"

I hope mom doesn't suspect anything. >.<

Anyway, the film was about luck. About a whole business where people gamble, and people look for other people with 'luck' to gamble for them. The main character is a guy who survived a plane crash, and true enough, he's the person the uh, other less than main character is looking for. The whole concept is that you can pass on luck when you touch or hug or caress somebody (leading to some rather gay moments in the movie). So there's this one Jewish man who is like 'The God of Chance' who everyone wants to gamble against. The gambles aren't casino type ones of course. Oh no, they're much sweeter than that. One involves all of them getting blindfolded and running through a plantation following the voice of the game...runner. They get knocked off one by one by well, running into trees until one person remains. Seems a bit weird, but a neat concept nonetheless.

How did I grasp all of this from the Spanish movie?

Simple- subtitles. That weren't Malaysian made.

Farhana's friend Sam came along, and surprise surprise- I know him! I met him at a Public Speaking Workshop I went to two years ago, and he was a cool person to hang around with. Still is, actually. We had dinner at this Indian Restaraunt, and my table was the noisiest as Sam and I exchanged jokes and morbid stories. It got us looks, but oh well. Sam brought along his college friend named Sophia, who is taking a Masters in English Literature. With her I talked about well, literature. John Keats. Shakespeare. T.S. Elliot. The whole enchilada. It made me feel smart, somewhat. It's so relieving to meet people who you can relate to about stuff like this! So well, I got their numbers and email addresses. Sam writes for The Cicak, and invited me to tag along as well. I guess I might. Seems like a cool project.

The highlight of the night: When Sam asked me jokingly if I was in the Muscom. I said yes, with a straight face. And ^^ - He. Believed. It.

Ngahaha. Guess I can pass off as a pious person if I want to after all.

Meanwhile, IDW is publishing a Silent Hill comic titled 'Angela In Ashes'. Could it be? Could the Gods be that kind? Is our dear, sweet Angela Orosco back?


This is a concept art that's been released so far. But is it really Angela Angela? She looks more...vicious. Not what I was hoping for, but I just hope she stays true to character...despite holding two knives. The way a fan at Silent Hill Heaven put it: 'Yay. We get to hear Angela swear like a sailor and kill Abstract Daddies with a shotgun. Oh the joy.'

Signing off for now.

Current mood: Tired. And bored. Let me liiiive....
Current song: Thrown to the Wolves- Four Star Mary

No comments: