
Yes, I finally got round to watching Leon the Professional. Yes, I loved it. Damn you, Khai, for recommending it to me years ago. You MUST have known that by recommending it to me, you have doomed me to staying away from it for a long time!
Ah well. Serves us right for having that weird kind of friendship.
For the uneducated, Leon the Professional is a cult hit. Everyone's been saying it's 'awesome' for ages. It just took me a while to find out how awesome. It's about a hitman who ends up looking after his neighbor's daughter when the entire family gets taken out by a very sinister Gary Oldman (that's Comissioner Gordon for you modern day Bat-Nolan fanboys). The neighbor's daughter is played by Natalie Portman in a very sinister debut role reminiscent of Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of the psychotic child vampire in 'Interview with a Vampire'. Imagining a 12-year old looking girl asking a taciturn hitman to teach her how to kill people is disturbing enough, but halfway through the film when she starts declaring that she's 'in love' with him and wants him to be 'her first' is another thing altogether.
Still. Pretty cool. I think the only thing that would make Leon doubly awesome, is 1) it being done as a book, so we get more glimpses into the mind of Leon as he deals with all this and 2) just me being a pervert but a little action wouldn't have hurt. He wouldn't have had to go through with all of it, but if he pulled away and had some self-disgust, it would have hit deeper when the movie ended the way it did.
But that's just me.
In the meantime, I have also finished The Catcher in the Rye. Good book. Pity no one's ever been able to make a proper adaptation of it. It is refreshing to read a so-called 'coming of age' novel where the main character doesn't exactly, you know, 'come of age'. It's a satire of the genre in its own sense, although it's open to interpretation how much Holden Caufield actually develops throughout the story. Also I've been reading other people say how the sister being named 'Phoebe', and how he anchors him to the story's plot is a subtle allegory to the sun and the moon, along with her being his 'oracle'. Nice touch.
So yes, it really is kinda arty. You won't catch Malaysian schools using it as study material anytime soon, of course. Parents wouldn't want their children reading about rebelliousness and all. That would just be wrong. So wrong.
Haih. And here I am listening in envy to my British coursemates telling me how they were studying Macbeth and Merchant of Venice while WE were lamenting on dead crows.
(sniffles)
Meanwhile here I am in bed, recovering from a dream/nightmare? that I disturbingly found quite fun involving Rogue of the X-Men getting in bed with Hank McCoy. Uh yes. Blue. Furry. Has a PhD.
I do think, friends, that I may have been visiting fanfiction sites WAY too much. All these strange pairings are beginning to manifest in my head. And now, now friends I am afraid to admit that I am sorely tempted to write them out.
Too much comics! Too much stress! Too much fanfics! My brain is now like funfair theme park with explosives strapped to all the rides.
4 comments:
I love Leon and his plant.
Also, I kinda shipped Jean Reno and Natalie Portman in this movie. Sick, I know.
You and me both, sister. We can check into the same asylum.
Huh. its a cult? i've never heard of it.
And yes you have D= that and your furrydom XD
I loved this movie long time ago... Recently my friend lend it to me and I fell in love with all over again...
The pedophile relationship puts it a bit off and of course the atrocious amount of milk he drank, He only survived on milk for crying out loud LOL...I still think is a good movie and hell yeah I wish i could have been raised by a professional hitman.
Post a Comment