Saturday, November 04, 2006

Some things don't really need answers.

"So...." I must've trailed that 'so' for an eternity. Well to me it felt that way. The uncertainty between the two sentences, whether I should move on to ask, why was I still hesitating now? I'd already repeated those words for the first time since last year.

"Am I going to get an answer this time?" I finished, almost letting it out with a sigh which admittedly, already sounded like a sigh of defeat.

She looked at me. I'm not sure if it was disgust, or whether in all possiblity, it could have been the opposite. You can never tell with her. She looked like she was trying to think of an answer. Well if she had to think about it- what was there to think about? I wasn't asking for the answer, I was just asking whether I'd get it or not. Was she trying to figure out what to say if she were to say 'Yes, I have an answer this time. I won't walk off if someone interrupts this conversation and pretend nothing happened today.' ?

The silence was deafening.

"Do we need an answer?" I asked finally. "Because you don't have to come up with one if you don't want to."

"Yeah," her eyes meeting mine directly. And yet reading them was still impossible. "I don't think we need an answer."

"Does this make it awkward, though?" I asked further. It never had been. But what if twice was too much? "Between us, I mean."

She shook her head. "No, it doesn't. Not for me anyway. How bout you?"

"No, I'm fine. Like I said- exams, I don't have time to dwell on these things. So we can pretend nothing happened?" Because please, God, the last thing I want right now is for things to go awkward. It's clear enough, at least, that she trusts me. Trusts me enough for that conversation to have happened, for her to not deny the things I asked her about before. Should it all get shot to hell because of three stupid words?

Silence again.

"So...yeah, we cool?" I asked.

And finally, the clouds parted, and there was that smile again. "Definitely cool."

Now, the conversation could finally turn elsewhere. "You're going home?" she asked me. The answer was a plain nod. "Why, you're not?" I asked in return.

"Not this week, but I'm dying to get out of college," she replied.

"Why not join the Mid Valley trip?" I asked.

"The bus is full."

"Oh."

"When do your papers end again?" she asked me.

"Week after next."

"Damn. Wanted to do that Bukit Bintang thing. Oh well, I'll wait for you to finish," she sighed.

"No, actually, we could book a car for next Friday evening. I mean, technically I'll still have papers, but since I'd have just finished Chem Paper 2, I wouldn't say no to a round of good ol-fashioned stress relief."

"If getting wasted on espressos is ol-fashioned."

There. We're finally smiling again.

"Uh, gotta go. Pack," I said, stepping away. "Catchya later in Bio class."

"Yeah, seeya," she replied, turning away towards the RC.

I took a moment to look back at her. Oddly, the only feeling I had then was a kind of numbness. Not pain. Not happiness either. Content? Maybe. Blotting out your feelings rarely works when you're me, but this time, it did. Maybe my mind was still trying to process whether what had just happened was good or bad. Now, more than twelve hours later, I still haven't decided yet.

It's alright really. Some things don't really need answers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why'd you do it, Bal, why? You knew it was coming. She's not worth the pain. Why'd you do it, if she sat down and had 'The Talk' with you about a junior?

Bal said...

Mysteriously, later, she confronted me briefly and said, "Bal, for your information. That talk we had on Wednesday? That time- I wasn't talking about Aimran. (who is, well, said junior)"

As for why I did it, well, truth was, I wasn't gonna. Oz and Shat told me about Aimran before, and I knew about them, but when I asked her herself whether she was interested in Aimran, she figured out that Oz was the one who told me.

"He had a good reason to tell me," I said in his defence.

And well... you know what that reason was. It was all happening so quickly. I'm not sure why I did what I did, why I said what I said, but damnit, people do crazy things when they're in love.

And pain? Right now I'm just going to do what I do best-

Detach.

I'm not one who turns into emo-man for the one month following rejection (which, technically, it wasn't) I'll admit, I'm not particularly in an upbeat happy mood right now, but I can pretend. And if I pretend long enough, it might just become true.

The fact that things really haven't gotten awkward between us makes things easier.

And for the record- she's well worth the pain. She's...special.

Just, not as special as me of course. ^^ Nor as special as...well, HER. The other her.

farahrozhan said...

I don't know head or tail, but;

By throwing yourself into emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only you can say, "All right. I have experienced the emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now i need to detach from that emotion for a moment." -- Mitch Albom