Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Communication Problems

If there is one bad thing about sarcasm, it's that it loses against sheer cluelessness, much to the dismay of Basil (Mr. Riches)

Well, that's that. The drama's over and done with, and it still feels as awesome as last year, if not more so. Why? Well, the extra stage time and more limelight possibly helps. And despite the fact that my character wasn't the super sarcastic, super British Basil, being the hapless Spanish waiter Manuel drew out the most laughs from the crowd. And that made the experience worth it, I guess. Throwing toilet rolls at a screaming crowd was just an added bonus. ^^


Me, Mary (Mrs. Tibbs) and Mizah (the stage manager)

The stage play was based on an episode from an old, made-for-TV British sitcom called Fawlty Towers, which was very popular in its day. It was created and written by John Cleese (who is Nearly-Headless Nick, by the way) and Connie Booth, who acted in the series as well. It revolves around the hotel Fawlty Towers, and the unfortunate events that happen to its owner Basil as well as his wife, Sybil, and the others who work there. It oozes British wit and sarcasm, though it's not above a few pieces of slapstick comedy.

Obviously the pictures won't be able to tell you much of what really happened, neither am I going to bother shortening the whole thing to tell you. It's a kind of thing that you had to be there for. Hopefully the RC people got the recording right this time- well, if they did, I'll bring a DVD copy of the play home, so you guys can scrutinize my acting.


The whole cast of Communication Problems

So yeah, it felt good on the whole. I'm still not really a social butterfly, but I won't lie, having people clap and cheer for you brings a euphoric feeling. Which explains why I got hyper that night, and ended up in the jamming room performing a duet with Aisyah on vocals for the song 'Beautiful Love by The Afters', sounding very much drunk, dancing around like a maniac. I even had lipstick and eyeliner on from the play! And it was all caught on video.

It's a pity that the first video of our band is one that had to reveal how insane we all are.

I'll upload it when I get home. Connection's not happy enough for the uploading of .MOV files from here. So keep your fingers crossed- or go buy earplugs. That's a more logical course of action. Because we REALLY sounded drunk.

Ta ta for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, this brings back the memories. Sounds like your batch put up a stellar performance! Wish I could've caught it.

I played Basil when we did 'Waldorf Salad' in my year. I can remember getting to poke Manuel (Haz, whose shoes you seem to have filled admirably well) in the eye, and getting hit on the head with a rolling pin by ol' Sybil. And Dr and Mrs Foord played the Major and Ms Tibbs in our play. I see you found a younger model this time round ;) and your stage manager looks a fine bit better than ours did too (Mr Cranwell). Ah, those were the days.

A hearty round of applause to you all from the stage where John Cleese started out.

Aki said...

Not so much a social recluse now eh?