Sunday, August 20, 2006

Venomous

Ah, home. Saturday was nothing sort of eventful. Went up to Sarah's house with Shahril where we watched Silent Hill for about an hour. The original plan was for us to watch the whole thing before going to KLCC, but then well, dad arrived to pick me up from college late, and we had to stop for breakfast... so there. Ah well, Silent Hill isn't really all that. The movie, I mean. It was worth it for Pyramid Head's appearance. That and... oh wait, what else? Watching Cybil Bennett die I guess. Why the hell did they have to get Laurie Holden the fugly to play her?

So anyway, we had to leave abruptly for KLCC, where we met up with Farah. The reason Sarah tagged along was to meet up with Noreen, who hadn't arrived yet, so what I was worried about really was that if things got awkward between the three of them. But well, things went well enough, I guess. I met a score of people at KLCC that day- Rahman and Hazriq were just about two tables away. Seeing them was worth ditching Shahril for- anything is worth ditching Shahril for. Later, while I Ben, Hizami and Nabilah appeared as well, despite the lack of introduction, Sarah could immediately tell that they were seniors.

Cambridge-bound seniors. (sigh)

Sarah and Shahril had to leave at about 3.00. So Sarah technically got to say 'hi' to Noreen, talk for like, five minutes, and then she had to go. What ensued was me, Farah and Noreen running around Kinokuniya looking at songbooks and other books for ourselves. Rachael gave us ideas on books to read that she thought would be 'right up our alley' in terms of both style and substance. She recommended me 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt. From what I can gather, it's dark. ^^ More details on it later. If anything, I'll say that that is the thing about Rachael I like. Even if I don't really like the way she teaches, she knows her plays/novels. And she did give handy pointers on my writing style. She's borrowing 'The Republic of Trees' when we get back to college.

Ah, and to balance out the depth and darkness of the novel, I got something else:


Yes, a Spidey comic. Mainstream. It chronicles the movement of the Venom symbiote to Eddie Brock, then to Angelo Fortunato, who reminds me of Seth Cohen for some reason. It was well worth the money- the artwork is amazing and the story was damn good. Minus the fact that Eddie's fate is still left hanging. I'm not sure if the writers are experimenting to see if fans would accept another Venom- but if they are, I hope they come to realize quickly that no one can ever replace Brock. He was entertaining because of his warped sense of 'innocent people' and how he referred to himself as 'we'. That attempted stint at being a superhero was hillarious as well.

Okay I'm ranting now.

Either way, Noreen, Farah and I hung out at San Fran later, bitching about the CP we watched last night. Honestly speaking, it was crap. (well it had its moments, but it was still crap) Last night the three of us had to entertain ourselves by shouting at the people on the stage. Not very nice of us, but you try watching a play with lines as cringeworthy as 'Son, you are my son!'. Strangely, other people seemed to like it. Either Farah, Noreen, Punit and I were watching a different play through a rip in the space-time continuum, or we're just being harsh.

Oh well.

We didn't get time to watch a movie, but it was better than spending the day at home. It's not everyday I get to go out with them anyway, with Farah back in Ipoh now and all. In the meantime, Noreen's going to be using the Rent songbook she bought, and Farah and I are going to be singing and dancing (not a pretty sight in my case) to the soundtrack all break. And when we get back, I'm going to talk to Don about the plan.

After performing 'Seasons of Love' at the assembly on Friday, I hope we'll get more people with us this time around. Being loved by the crowd is addictive. Despite my usually shy nature (some of you may vomit now), I have to admit that I'd do it again. And again. And again. And again.

Farah, Noreen, THANK YOU!

Happy hols guys! Ring me if any of you ever end up in KL again!

No comments: