Friday, December 08, 2006

Amaterasu

Yes, it's been one week since I've, well, done it. And I think with enough distractions, I think I can go longer. Either way, I've never lasted this long. Might just be my first step on the road of redemption. Depending on how you view things. I just hope it doesn't get the better of me again. Going cold turkey isn't exactly fun, and my mind does go back there once in a while, but I guess at home, it's easier to keep it in check.

Ah well, it's Friday, and firstly, I finished Okami!

A few days ago, actually, but I've been occupied with FF12 (which I've finally started paying attention to. Though actually, it's my sister's party.) So the verdict? I've already mentioned that it was good in the last post, but here I'm going to say that I'm a believer. I loved every last moment of it, and before the break ends, I'd like to go back there and play it again. Sort of like how I beat Dark Cloud 2 twice, and Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics a gazillion times.

(no spoilers here. I'm merely telling you the opening. The pre-opening, actually)

The story is about the sun God Amaterasu (it's a she, mind you) who takes form in the mortal world by entering the statue of a legendary wolf Shiranui and uses it to fight, well, evil. In this case, it comes in the form of a ten-headed serpent Orochi, which plans to shroud the whole world (or at the very least, the country of Nippon where the game takes place) in darkness. The serpent did battle with Shiranui 200 years ago, and was defeated when the wolf recieved the aid of the legendary warrior Nagi (a human). This resulted in Orochi being sealed in the Moon Cave before the events of the game take place. Unfortunately, this also resulted in the death of Shiranui.

The bombmaker makes bombs. Learn the brush techniques and you can, too.

Well, if you've read/played enough fantasy stories, you'll know that seals are...well, made to be broken. Sealed bad guys ALWAYS escape at some point or other, and Orochi is no exception. So in the present day, the Wood Spirite, Sakuya summons Amaterasu in order to save Nippon, and bring back color/life to the darkened areas of the country where evil has taken root. Amaterasu is joined by Issun, the Wandering Artist, who is a tiny, wisecracking, pervertish bug thing which rides on Ammy's (as he dubs her) head as she travels. Since Amaterasu doesn't talk (she only barks, growls, whimpers, oh you know, wolfspeak), Issun does the talking, and provides life and humor to the story.

I may have mentioned this before, but one of the game's special features is the brushwork. Amaterasu's powers are fuelled by the 'Celestial Brush', which helps her perform godlike miracles, depending on the brush technique used. There are thirteen brush techniques in all, which have to be gathered as the Gods who owned them have gone into hiding with Orochi's rise. These techniques will either aid you in battle, or help you reach otherwise impossible places. And example is the brushstroke 'Bloom' (a circular stroke using the analog stick) which, in itself has varying uses. In battle you can use it to call up trees which sprout out from the ground to block enemy attacks. Outside battle, it can be used to return life to dead trees, which earns you Faith, and possibly some food (fruits). Faith is used to increase the length of your life bar, ink bar (depicting how much brushwork you can do before you have to wait to recharge), money pouch and Astral Pouch (continues).

Amaterasu yawns, sleeps, barks. Yes, everything a wolf does.

Technical details aside, part of the game's appeal is the world of Nippon itself. The artwork is stunning, and I'm not just referring to the gorgeous, traditional Japanese type animation (not Anime, mind you as you can clearly see). The countrysides, seashores, islands and villages you explore are rich with life. Flowers bloom in your wake as you run through the fields, the passing of time is depicted through the rich colors of the sky- which runs from pale blue, to sky blue, to orange, pink, dark blue, black- in short, the time isn't divided simply into day and night. And the people (and animals) react accordingly. Meaning you won't find a person standing static at one place all the time. Speaking of the people, they are very much alive as well. Each with their very own, often wacky characteristics. They will flinch if you jump or bark at them. Some will lose their temper if you tackle/headbutt them. And well, of course, they have their problems, which of course if you help solve will net you more Faith, or if you're lucky, new items or weapons.

Despite all these RPG-ish elements, this game remains an action/adventure for the most part. It keeps things simple, which is part of the appeal. No extensive HP/MP calculators- there's your life bar, the opponent's life bar, you dish out combos at them (though not in a Dante-esque, overrated fashion), you use the brush where appropriate (like using the Inferno brush technique to draw fire from a torch on the wall towards you when an enemy freezes you so that you can thaw out), win money or progress the story, if it was an important enemy.

The celestial brush in action

The story itself is deeply engaging, despite the slight typical-ness of saving the world. I found some parts in the game deeply moving, like in a Disney movie. So we have humor, sadness where appropriate, fury or anger at people who...well, do bad stuff to you, but it doesn't stop there. There were moments which were actually freaky. One particular scene was reminiscent of a horror game. -_- And the ending was, as one of the characters would say 'C'est magnifique' (yes, we have a Japanese character who speaks French. Like I said, wacky/quirky)- though not in a happy, everyone gets what they wants kind of way. It has a hint of tragedy in it, which leads me to feel BLOODY ANNOYED at the fact that Capcom closed down Clover Studios, which created this game. (which, for the most part, cuts off any avenue for a sequel)

It's a pity. This game is friggin' awesome, and you'll find that it's not just me. Most game reveiwing magazines/sites have given this game 9.0++. Some went as far as to say that it's the next 'Zelda' (again, a comment that doesn't mean anything at all to me since I've never played Zelda). So pick it up!

I've also been watching Heroes, up to Episode 11. Yes, it's much more easier to watch these things when you're at home when connection doesn't DIE ON YOU EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES. (deep breaths) My thoughs so far? It's a good series, and it's non-typical concepts are rather cool, though when it's not typical, it gets VERY, VERY typical. Try, ranging from a Japanese nerd who can bend space and time to a man who wishes he was special, does good deeds, and wants to save the world (rolls eyes). The dialogue can get cheesy and grating at times. It's easy to spot who's actually been to acting school, and who's just well, third-rate high school drama material. Oops. Watch it. It's worth it, at the very least, for now. TV series rarely do well once they drag on to further season. The O.C.'s first season was awesome. The second was semi-crap. The third was crap-crap. Boy, I can't wait for the fourth. Desperate Housewives- First season was engaging. Second season needed, like what? Twelve episodes to get the ball rolling? Despite my fanboyism of Buffy, second season was better than the third, which was a lot better than the craptacular fourth 'goverment agent Riley Finn' arc- though it got better in the sixth season, defying gravity for a bit before it fell slightly during the seventh season. So watch it while it's good. We can all scoff at it later.

No comments: