
Just watched Syriana, and Brokeback Mountain. Won't bore you with details, but I'll just mention that neither are popcorn-fluff. They're the kind of movies which go for Academy Awards, not because of cool fight scenes of cheesy romance lines, but because they do what is traditionally meant to be art- the imitation of life, in which case both did an awesome job. Fine, so Brokeback deals with gay cowboys, and I kinda found it a bit disturbing, but at least hey, it was real. In the sense that you know these things happen in real life, and that's how they are. Same like in Syriana, where unless you know your Middle-East oil politics, you're gonna be having your jaw hang open most of the movie (that was me, thankfully I watched it with my dad who did the explaining).
I don't wanna say I enjoyed them a lot, because then it'll seem like I want to sound deep, but I'll say that for what they are, if you know that you're not coming into the cinema to laugh and marvel at graphics, boobs or fight scenes, then its well worth it. Mm... that sounds like a good enough reason to watch Memoirs. Dang, I just convinced myself to watch it instead of having someone else do it (as if anyone was gonna).
So anyway, Syriana is kinda depressing, just be ready for it. Doesn't matter whether you're pro-'Barat' or not. Supermuslims might leap with glee when they watch it though, eager to shout out 'I told you so! Americans are EVIL!', but then again, they might not appreciate the suicide bombing part....or then again...
Supermuslim: See? Suicide bombing is good! I go now to bomb KLCC to stop maksiat!
Where did I stand? Seeing the fact that I'm not really pro-Barat (despite popular belief), and I'm not really pro-'here' either, I found it all the more disturbing. I hate some aspects of America (the politics, mostly), but then I hate some aspects of Islamic groups who take things to the extreme. Not that I'm murtad or anything (and please watch where you throw that word, some of you), but I think suicide bombing is just stupid. The way you do it makes it seem that we were ordered to do it, when really we weren't. So all it does is strengthen the terrorist picture America is trying even harder to make the world see.
What a depressing world we live in. All because no one wants to admit that there wrong and right are subjective things.
Well, anyway, 'Ties That Bind' is finished. But then don't bother clicking the link to go there and review. Wouldn't want you guys to strain yourselves.
Also went shopping at Ampang Point with dad today, bringing home with me more candles and a book called 'Tales from Ancient Egypt'. Well, call it a new obsession. I'm usually more into Greecian myths, but I'm researching Egyptian lore as well as a background for the well, thing. And partially cuz I read The Anubis Gates. And partially cuz I think Farhana had a hand in this somehow.
Or maybe it's just cuz Anubis looks so damn cool. (he's almost a werewolf)
Well, reading shelf thickening again.
Immediate reading list:
1)The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell (borrowed from library)
2)Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (borrowed from library)
3)Guardians of the West by David Eddings (borrowed from library)
4)Necroscope by Brian Lumley (rented)
5)Paleo by Yvonne Navarro (rented)
6)Norwegian Wood by Haruki...something (borrowed from Nicholas)
And I'm actually planning on getting Nicholas Evans' Divide this Saturday. Shame on me! (I musn't. I just musn't.)
A last note before I leave: Watch Brokeback Mountain. Give gay cowboys a chance. ^^ Just kidding, watch it only if you think you've seen too much of the same thing, and need a change. Brokeback Mountain is just that. And uhm, guiltily I'll admit that the real reason I watched it was to look at the scenery. It's breathtaking. Like 'Dances with Wolves' and 'Horse Whisperer', the picturesque views on the mountains, the fields... (sighs deeply) It makes me wish I were a cowboy once in a while. Not a gay one.
End post.
2 comments:
I swear to you...Brokeback Mountain's cinematography is so amazing. Apart from the gay thing (friendship between cowboys is something wonderful...but...they went one step overboard)
I'm gonna watch it. Yeah, it's still there in my test pad.
Post a Comment