
I won't say I'm Death Cab for Cutie's biggest fan. Because in all honesty, I never really did start listening to them even though I've had the songs in my hard drive since forever (refer to the pyramid thing in one of my last posts). I only really started listening to them about two weeks ago, when Feera invited me to check out a Death Cab gig in jolly ol' Nottingham, which I was only too happy to do (since the tickets weren't as pricey as, oh, say, Coldplay, seeing that the Death Cab thing was a smaller gig).
So yeah, not all the songs rub off on me the right way, and it was a bit of an acquired taste, but I am partial to the song 'Cath' from the latest album Narrow Stairs. Others that I grew fond of were Transatlanticism, I Will Follow You Into the Dark, What Sarah Said, Grapevine Fires, Where Soul Meets Body, Title and Registration and I Will Possess Your Heart.
And hey, whaddya know? All those songs got performed that night! :) For a first gig in the UK, I'd say this wasn't bad. (First gig by a band I know, anyway) No wait, it was brilliant. The room wasn't too crowded, and the people weren't too irritating. Me and Noreen got a spot away from the speakers, on the upper balcony to get a better view of the band while Aaron and Feera stayed near the bottom of the stage and got us some pretty neat pictures (as well as a video recording of 'Transatlanticism'), in exchange for them becoming Deaf Cab for Cutie (Aaron's lame joke, not mine).
The band that opened for them was a Scottish band called 'Frightened Bunny', who weren't too bad in their own right- if only I could understand their lyrics. Not because of the accent, mind you. I guess the mikes were tuned a bit wrong, which carried over into the Death Cab performance itself. Khai, you might have liked this. The lead singer's 'whiny voice' couldn't be heard that well over the instruments.

But showmanship-wise, the guys were good. The lead singer was good at enough at riling the crowd up, talking enough yet not talking too much at the same time (which I hear some singers get caught up doing).
All in all, it was an awesome trip. I had nasi lemak. TWICE! (I am told that I declare that in a tone that seems to be more suited for 'I had sex. TWICE!') And I found a place that sells Red Mountain Dew! (Guys, stay the HELL away from it -__-) And yeah, I guess the change in scenery was good for me. The train ride is always more therapeutic than having my back being broken on the bus, and it was awesome seeing Hazriq and Aisyah again- the former with information that ASDA has pop tarts and the latter buying me expensive nasi lemak for my birthday.
So yeah, I feel charged up now. Newcastle life was getting a bit dreary round the edges, but now I powered up again! Yeah! (jumps back into bed)
2 comments:
Any song recommendations?
Heard of them since forever but never really had the urge to go and download their songs, ya know.
Btw, I'm going to a Keane concert early next year. Had wanted to go to a Coldplay one, but it's too near to the exams. Sigh.
YAr har, from what i can see of the picture, it looks every bit the small gig you were tlaking about. the cliched style! with coloured lights flashing and a small crowd gathered up front like they do in the music videos. i just like that scene ^^ although not to say i want to be in the press of bodies D=
Post a Comment