Saturday, February 02, 2008

Cats!


I just today, got swept of my feet, and more besides. And not even saying that gives what I felt at the Theater Royal today justice. Despite my limited experience in watching musical productions, I have to say, without a doubt, that Cats is without a doubt, one of the best musicals I have ever seen.

I've heard of Cats before, of course. Who hasn't? Though after Rent (not the London one, the movie), I have always found it hard to believe that the bar for musical greatness could possibly set so high. Today, I was blown away. Cats is a definite must-see. At least once in your life. And seriously, watching the DVD versions don't do it no justice. (like most musicals, of course)

The opening song, 'Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats' is just THAT good. It made me wish they had reprised it the way Rent reprises Seasons of Love halfway through the musical. But unlike RENT, whose songs in my personal opinion will work even on radio even if you've never seen the movie, Cats is something where you have to feel the energy displayed by the actors to really appreciate it.

Other songs I particularly enjoyed were 'Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat' and 'Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer'. You can run over to Youtube to check them out if you want, but again, it just won't be the same. You're going to have to take my word for it.

Apparently everyone else got the idea of how big it was as well. Because pretty much everyone (who matters, anyway) got round to watching it together. Noreen, Farah Farhanah and Wawan (both visiting us from Edinburgh!), Shahrin, Nicholas, Al, hell, Bradley (our Head of Medicine) even. When Nicholas planned for watching this last month with, I was just like, 'Hey, cool. I'm watching Cats.' Now I'm more like 'ZOMFG, I WATCHED CATS!'

Srsly. It is teh epic pwnage.

No comments: