I have a confession to make.
I am aware of the fact that I have a tendency to be relatively unimpressed with things other people go 'WHOA SHIT!' over. Like Heroes, for example. That and Prison Break. Not to bring up the no-fun 'that's superficial!' debate, but the cause of it in general, sometimes is that I'm quite simply, jaded. Being the movie fanatic that I am, fuelled further by constant visits to Wikipedia, I feel sometimes like I've seen everything. So when I watch a new movie, I find myself getting better and better at seeing what's coming next. The big 'twist' that leaves everyone gasping in their seats tends to leave me yawning and saying 'Oh puh-leez! That was SO done in *insert pre-2000 movie title here*'.
On one hand it is undeniable that Hollywood is running out of ideas. Count off the number of novel adaptations they've been having to make over the past two years alone. Original direct to movie ideas are rare these days- don't ask me why, but my guess is that Hollywood notices that it pays off to adapt franchises because they can at least guarantee a money pool from rabid fans at the very least. Better than trying out a new formula that may or may not work.
And so what do we get? Nothing particularly, hugely enjoyable in the Oscars since oh say, Gladiator. Before you jump up at try to debate me on that statement by shouting: "THE DEPARTED!" or "CAPOTE!", I have to say that's just my opinion on things.
But wait uhm, where was I? Oh yes, that confession thing.
I'm not above feigning indifference sometimes. It does give off a bit of satisfaction to be able to keep calm and say 'Heh. Seen that before' or 'That wasn't really THAT good' in front of other people. It feels sophisticated, I guess.
Of course, the obvious result of forcing yourself to not have fun when watching a movie results in, well, not having fun. I guess its the people I live and deal with on a day to day basis (be it in person or online). Half of the things that used to excite me sometimes, I'd get shot down by someone else telling me 'Hey, that was kind of stupid actually'. So as a safety mechanism, I don't show immediate enthusiasm sometimes.
As one of my fun new resolution things (which I know I have trouble keeping sometimes), from now on, if something interests me, I will genuinely show interest. Because really, saying 'Naw I think that wasn't so good', just to feel sophisticated kind of makes you an ass. Can't say my friends who do that are in the same boat as me. Maybe they really are that hard to impress. Oh well. Less fun for them.
But seriously, who started the whole 'Admitting something is cool is not cool, man' thing? Is it some psychological need to feel like you're better than everyone else by being colder towards the things around you? Or is it the need to feel different? Falling for what everyone else falls for makes you less 'special', is that it?
Uh oh. It looks like the subject is sort of drifting back towards that area again. So before another debate ensues around, "Fuck you man! I don't pretend to be sophisticated! I just happen to like different stuff from the people around me so that makes me genuinely sophisticated! I don't need to pretend I'm special! I AM SPECIAL!"-
I think I'd better stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment